Home Cooks > Recipes > Polenta Cakes with Pesto-Tomato Salsa
Yield: Yield: 4 servings
1/2 pound fresh tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
1/3 cup prepared pesto sauce
2 tablespoons chopped green onions and tops
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup Kikkoman Panko Bread Crumbs or Whole Wheat Panko
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan & Romano cheese blend
or grated Parmesan cheese
1 tube (16 oz.) refrigerated pre-cooked polenta,
cut crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Stir together tomatoes, pesto and green onions in small bowl.
- Beat egg with 1 Tbsp. water in shallow dish until well blended. Combine panko bread crumbs and cheese in plate or pie pan.
- Pour enough oil into heavy-bottomed skillet to measure 1/8- to 1/4-inch deep; heat oil over medium heat until hot, about 5 minutes. (Oil is ready when piece of bread crumbs is added and oil sizzles.)
- Meanwhile, dust both sides of polenta rounds with flour, then dip into egg mixture and finally coat thoroughly with bread crumbs mixture.
- Add half of polenta rounds to hot oil; cook 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and keep warm. Repeat cooking procedure with remaining polenta.
- Serve warm with pesto-tomato salsa.