(Yield: 6 servings)
2-pounds boneless pork shoulder (Boston butt)
1-1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Kikkoman Soy Sauce, divided
1/4 cup dry sherry
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon anise seed, crushed
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
4 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
4 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms*,
stemmed and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
1/4 cup cornstarch
4 green onions and tops, cut into 1/4-inch lengths
1 pound fresh Chinese-style thin wheat noodles
or linguine, cooked
- Trim off excess fat from pork; cut meat into 1-inch pieces. Brown pork with ginger in hot oil in Dutch oven or large saucepan over high heat.
- Stir in 2 cups water, 1/4 cup soy sauce, sherry, sugar, anise seed and crushed pepper; cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer 40 minutes.
- Add carrots; simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and remaining 2 Tbsp. soy sauce. Cook, covered, 10 minutes longer, or until pork and vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, blend cornstarch with 3 Tbsp. water.
- Stir into meat mixture along with green onions; return to boil and cook until slightly thickened. Spoon desired amount over noodles in individual serving bowls. *If shiitake mushrooms are not available, substitute with 6 ounces fresh mushrooms.
If you like this, try...
On any ONE (1) Kikkoman Soy Sauce.
On the purchase of TWO (2) boxes of Kikkoman Panko Bread Crumbs
On any one (1) Kikkoman product.