Ingredients (Yield: 6 servings)
2-pounds boneless pork shoulder (Boston butt)
1-1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Kikkoman Soy Sauce, divided
1/4 cup dry sherry
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon anise seed, crushed
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
4 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
4 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms*,
stemmed and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
1/4 cup cornstarch
4 green onions and tops, cut into 1/4-inch lengths
1 pound fresh Chinese-style thin wheat noodles
or linguine, cooked
- Trim off excess fat from pork; cut meat into 1-inch pieces. Brown pork with ginger in hot oil in Dutch oven or large saucepan over high heat.
- Stir in 2 cups water, 1/4 cup soy sauce, sherry, sugar, anise seed and crushed pepper; cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer 40 minutes.
- Add carrots; simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and remaining 2 Tbsp. soy sauce. Cook, covered, 10 minutes longer, or until pork and vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, blend cornstarch with 3 Tbsp. water.
- Stir into meat mixture along with green onions; return to boil and cook until slightly thickened. Spoon desired amount over noodles in individual serving bowls. *If shiitake mushrooms are not available, substitute with 6 ounces fresh mushrooms.
If you like this, try...
off any ONE (1) Kikkoman Panko Bread Crumbs
on any one (1) Kikkoman Soy Sauce