Home Cooks > Recipes > Chinese-Style Red Cooked Short Ribs
Yield: Yield: 4 servings
3 pounds beef short ribs
1/3 cup all-purpose flour, about
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/3 cup Kikkoman Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
1 clove garlic, pressed
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Coat ribs thoroughly with flour; reserve flour. Brown ribs slowly on all sides in hot oil in Dutch oven or large saucepan; drain off excess fat.
- Combine soy sauce, sugar, garlic, ginger, cloves and 1-1/4 cups water; pour over ribs. Cover and simmer 2 hours, or until ribs are tender, turning ribs over occasionally.
- Meanwhile, blend 1/4 cup reserved flour and 1/2 cup water.
- Remove ribs to serving platter; keep warm.
- Pour pan drippings into large measuring cup; skim off fat. Add enough water to measure 2-1/2 cups; return to pan and bring to boil. Gradually stir in flour mixture. Cook and stir until thickened; serve with ribs.