(Yield: 4 servings)
1 pound fresh or thawed medium-size squid, cleaned if available
2 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
4 tablespoons Kikkoman Teriyaki Marinade & Sauce, divided
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
1 red or green bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips
1/4 pound green onions and tops, cut into 2-inch lengths,
separating white parts from tops
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
1 clove garlic, minced
3 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- Clean, skin and wash squid as directed below.
- Cut body sacs into 1/4-inch rings; place in bowl with tentacles. Add enough boiling water to cover and blanch 3 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water and drain thoroughly. Spread on paper towels and blot dry.
- Combine 1 Tbsp. each cornstarch and teriyaki sauce; stir in squid. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining cornstarch, teriyaki sauce, crushed pepper and 3/4 cup water.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add squid and stir-fry 2 minutes; remove.
- Heat remaining oil in same wok. Add bell pepper, white parts of green onions, ginger and garlic; stir-fry 2 minutes. Return squid to wok with teriyaki sauce mixture, lettuce and green onion tops. Cook and stir until mixture boils and thickens. Serve immediately.
To clean squid: Pull head from body sac; discard viscera. Set aside heads with tentacles. Remove transparent quill from inside sac; wash insides. Pull off speckled outer skin covering sac. Cut tentacles from head; discard hard beak.
If you like this, try...
On any ONE (1) Kikkoman Soy Sauce or Teriyaki Marinade and Sauce 10 oz. or larger.