(Yield: 4 servings)
1 pound fresh or thawed medium-size squid, cleaned if available
2 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
4 tablespoons Kikkoman Teriyaki Marinade & Sauce, divided
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
1 red or green bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips
1/4 pound green onions and tops, cut into 2-inch lengths,
separating white parts from tops
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
1 clove garlic, minced
3 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- Clean, skin and wash squid as directed below.
- Cut body sacs into 1/4-inch rings; place in bowl with tentacles. Add enough boiling water to cover and blanch 3 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water and drain thoroughly. Spread on paper towels and blot dry.
- Combine 1 Tbsp. each cornstarch and teriyaki sauce; stir in squid. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining cornstarch, teriyaki sauce, crushed pepper and 3/4 cup water.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add squid and stir-fry 2 minutes; remove.
- Heat remaining oil in same wok. Add bell pepper, white parts of green onions, ginger and garlic; stir-fry 2 minutes. Return squid to wok with teriyaki sauce mixture, lettuce and green onion tops. Cook and stir until mixture boils and thickens. Serve immediately.
To clean squid: Pull head from body sac; discard viscera. Set aside heads with tentacles. Remove transparent quill from inside sac; wash insides. Pull off speckled outer skin covering sac. Cut tentacles from head; discard hard beak.
If you like this, try...
On any ONE (1) Kikkoman Soy Sauce.
On the purchase of TWO (2) boxes of Kikkoman Panko Bread Crumbs
On any one (1) Kikkoman product.