Home Cooks > Recipes > Hot & Sour Beef Stir-Fry
(Yield: 4 servings)
1/2 pound boneless tender beef steak, about 1/2 inch thick
2 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
1 tablespoon Kikkoman Soy Sauce
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1 large clove garlic, minced
1/3 cup Kikkoman Ponzu
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
1 onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
Hot cooked rice
1/2 cup chopped salted roasted peanuts
- Cut beef across grain into thin slices. Combine 1 Tbsp. cornstarch with soy sauce, sugar and garlic in small bowl; stir in beef to coat. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, blend remaining 1 Tbsp. cornstarch with 1 Tbsp. water in small bowl. Combine ponzu and 1/4 cup water in another bowl.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in wok or large skillet over high heat until hot. Add beef and stir-fry 1 minute; remove.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in same pan. Add onion and crushed red pepper; stir-fry 1 minute. Add red bell pepper; stir-fry 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; stir-fry 1 minute.
- Stir in cornstarch and ponzu mixtures. Cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens. Add basil and beef; cook and stir until basil wilts.
- Spoon over rice and sprinkle with peanuts. Serve immediately.