Home Cooks > Recipes > Char Siu (Chinese Barbecued Pork)
(Yield: 6 servings) 3-pound boneless pork shoulder (Boston butt)
1/2 cup Kikkoman Soy Sauce
2 tablespoons dry sherry
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon red food coloring (optional)
- Cut pork in half lengthwise. Pierce all sides of both halves with fork; place pieces in large plastic bag.
- Combine soy sauce, sherry, honey, ginger, garlic and food coloring; pour over pork. Press air out of bag; close top securely. Turn over several times to coat pieces well.
- Refrigerate 8 hours, or overnight, turning bag over occasionally.
- Reserving marinade, remove pieces and place on rack in shallow pan; cover loosely with aluminum foil. Bake at 325°F. 30 minutes.
- Discard foil; continue baking 1 hour and 15 minutes longer, or until meat thermometer inserted into thickest part registers 170°. Brush pieces with reserved marinade 2 or 3 times during baking.
- To serve, cut across grain into thin slices.