(Yield: 12 buns)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
1 cup chopped onion
2-1/3 cups chopped Chinese barbecue pork (Char Siu)*,
about 3/4 pound
2 tablespoons Kikkoman Stir-Fry Sauce
2 teaspoons tomato ketchup
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons water, divided
3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour (about), divided
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 package (1/4 oz.) rapid rise yeast
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon sugar
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; stir-fry 3 minutes, or until translucent. Add pork; stir-fry 2 minutes. Stir in stir-fry sauce and ketchup.
- Dissolve cornstarch in 1 Tbsp. water; add to skillet. Cook and stir until mixture is well blended and thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Combine 3 cups flour, 1/4 cup sugar, salt and yeast in large bowl. Combine milk, 1/2 cup water and remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in small saucepan; heat to 120° to 130°F. Add to flour mixture, stirring, to make a soft dough. Turn out onto lightly floured board or pastry cloth and knead 5 minutes, or until smooth. Shape dough into ball; cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll out each piece to circle 5 inches in diameter. (Cover remaining pieces until ready to use.)
- Place about 1/4 cupful pork mixture in center of each circle. Gather up edges of dough over filling. Close top by pinching edges together in center and twisting to secure. Place buns, sealed side down, on greased baking sheet. Let rise in warm place 45 minutes, or until slightly puffy.
- Meanwhile, beat egg, remaining 1 Tbsp. water and 1 Tbsp. sugar vigorously in small bowl with wire whisk until sugar dissolves; brush tops of buns lightly with egg mixture.
- Bake in 375°F oven 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove buns to rack to cool. *Click here for Char Siu (Chinese Barbecued Pork) recipe, or purchase Chinese barbecued pork at local Chinese take-out restaurant.
If you like this, try...
On any ONE (1) Kikkoman Soy Sauce or Teriyaki Marinade and Sauce.
On any one (1) Kikkoman product.