(Yield: 4 servings)
3 cups thinly sliced onions
2 medium cloves garlic, minced
5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2-1/2 tablespoons Kikkoman Soy Sauce, divided
4 New York strip steaks, about 10 to 12 ounces each*
1/2 cup prepared beef broth
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Gruyere cheese
2 tablespoons snipped chives
- Cook onions and garlic in 3 Tbsp. hot oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat, 20 to 30 minutes, or until onions are tender and lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in 1 Tbsp. soy sauce and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Thoroughly rub steaks with remaining 2 Tbsp. oil; sprinkle with pepper. Grill or broil steaks, 3 to 4 minutes on each side (for medium-rare), or to desired doneness.
- Meanwhile, in small saucepan, heat broth, remaining 1-1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce and 1/4 cup water; keep hot.
- Place steaks in shallow baking pan; top each steak with equal amount of onion mixture and cheese.
- Broil, 3 to 4 inches away from heat source, until cheese starts to melt and is lightly browned.
- Place steaks on four individual plates; spoon 3 Tbsp. warm broth mixture over each steak and garnish with chives. * For smaller servings, cut cooked steaks in half.
If you like this, try...
On any ONE (1) Kikkoman Soy Sauce or Teriyaki Marinade and Sauce 10 oz. or larger.
On any one (1) Kikkoman product.