Home Cooks > Recipes > African Yam Soup
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
1 large yam, about 1 pound
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup minced onion
1 medium-size red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
1 cup apple juice
1 tablespoon creamy natural peanut butter
1-1/4 cups Pearl® Organic Soymilk Original
Chopped roasted peanuts
- Cook yam in enough water to cover in covered saucepan 35 minutes, or until tender. Drain; cool slightly. Peel yam, then cut into chunks.
- Heat oil in medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper and salt; sauté 4 minutes. Stir in coriander and red pepper, cooking 1 minute longer.
- Add apple juice; bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; blend in peanut butter. Stir in soymilk and yams. Cool 5 minutes.
- Process half of yam mixture in covered blender container until smooth. Return to saucepan. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until heated through. Spoon into individual serving bowls and sprinkle with peanuts.