Home Cooks > Recipes > Teriyaki Chicken & Barley
Yield: Yield: 4 to 6 servings
2-1/2 to 3 pounds frying chicken pieces
1/2 cup Kikkoman Teriyaki Marinade & Sauce
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup pearl barley
1 small tomato, halved and sliced
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Place chicken in large plastic food storage bag; pour in teriyaki sauce. Press air out of bag; close top securely. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight, turning bag over occasionally.
- Reserving marinade, remove chicken and place on rack of broiler pan. Add enough water to reserved marinade to measure 1-1/4 cups.
- Heat oil in 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery and garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Pour in teriyaki mixture; bring to boil. Skim off foam. Stir in barley and tomato; cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, broil chicken 5 to 6 inches from heat source 35 to 40 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink near bone; turn chicken over every 10 minutes.
- Uncover saucepan; simmer 10 minutes longer.
- Just before serving, stir parsley into barley mixture and serve with chicken.