Home Cooks > Recipes > Spice Coffee Cake
Yield: Makes 1 (9-inch) square cake
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter or trans fat-free butter-like spread
2 tablespoons chopped nuts
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup Pearl Original Organic Soymilk
- Combine flour, sugar and salt in large mixing bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Remove 1/3 cup mixture and combine with nuts. Stir baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg into remaining flour mixture.
- Beat together egg and soymilk; pour all at once into flour-spice mixture, stirring until flour is moistened.
- Spread batter into greased and floured 9-inch square baking pan. Sprinkle nut mixture evenly over batter.
- Bake in preheated 350ºF. oven 20 to 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.