Home Cooks > Recipes > Polenta Pasticcio Orientale
Yield: Yield: 4 to 6 servings Polenta Orientale*
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-1/2 pounds tomatoes, chopped
3 tablespoons Kikkoman Soy Sauce
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs, crumbled
1 package (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach,
cooked and well drained
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Prepare Polenta Orientale; cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, brown beef with onion and garlic in large skillet. Stir in tomatoes, soy sauce and sugar. Cover and bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Uncover and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in herb seasoning; simmer 20 minutes longer.
- Spread spinach evenly over polenta, then spoon meat mixture over spinach.
- Bake at 375ºF. 15 minutes, or until heated through.
- Sprinkle cheese over meat mixture and bake 2 minutes longer, or until cheese melts. Serve immediately. *Polenta Orientale: Combine 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal and 3/4 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning, crumbled. Bring 1-1/2 cups water to boil in medium saucepan; stir in 4 teaspoons Kikkoman Soy Sauce. Reduce heat to medium and slowly sprinkle in cornmeal mixture, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 5 minutes, or until mixture is very stiff. Remove from heat; stir in 1 Tbsp. butter or margarine. Spread polenta evenly in 8-inch square baking pan.