(Yield: 6 servings)
1/2 cup Kikkoman Stir-Fry Sauce
3 tablespoons tomato ketchup
3 cloves garlic, pressed
1-1/2 teaspoons fennel seed, crushed
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
4-pound fresh or thawed whole roasting chicken
3 thin slices fresh ginger root
2 green onions and tops, cut in 3-inch lengths
2 cloves garlic, crushed
"Hoisin" Dipping Sauce*
- Combine stir-fry sauce, ketchup, pressed garlic, fennel and cloves; remove and reserve 1/2 cup for "Hoisin" Dipping Sauce.
- Discard giblets and neck from chicken. Rinse chicken under cold running water; drain well and pat dry with paper towels. Carefully separate skin from meat on chicken breast and thighs. Rub 1 Tbsp. of remaining stir-fry sauce mixture under skin. Place ginger, green onions and crushed garlic in chicken cavity.
- Roast chicken, breast side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan in 400ºF. oven 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare "Hoisin" Dipping Sauce.
- Brush chicken with remaining stir-fry sauce mixture. Roast 5 minutes longer, or until meat thermometer inserted into thigh registers 180ºF.
- Remove chicken from oven and let stand 10 minutes before carving; serve with dipping sauce.
*"Hoisin" Dipping Sauce: Combine reserved 1/2 cup stir-fry sauce mixture, 2-1/2 Tbsp. honey, 1-1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil and 2 Tbsp. water in small saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
If you like this, try...
On any ONE (1) Kikkoman Soy Sauce.
On the purchase of TWO (2) boxes of Kikkoman Panko Bread Crumbs
On any one (1) Kikkoman product.