(Yield: 4 servings)
2-1/2-pound boneless beef chuck roast
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 bottle (12 oz.) brown or amber ale
1/4 cup Kikkoman Soy Sauce
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
3 large onions, cut into eighths
- Coat beef with 1/3 cup flour. Brown beef slowly on both sides in hot oil in Dutch oven or large saucepan.
- Combine ale, soy sauce and allspice; pour over beef. Bring to boil; cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Turn beef over and add onions; simmer, covered, 1 hour longer, or until beef is tender.
- Meanwhile, blend remaining 2 Tbsp. flour with 1/4 cup water.
- Remove beef and onions to serving platter; keep warm. Pour pan juices into large measuring cup; skim off excess fat. Return 2-1/2 cups juices to pan; bring to boil. Gradually stir in flour mixture, cooking until gravy boils and thickens.
- To serve, cut beef across grain into thin slices and serve with gravy.
If you like this, try...
On any ONE (1) Kikkoman Sauce 10 oz. or larger
On any one (1) Kikkoman product.