Home Cooks > Recipes > Ale Braised Beef & Onions
Yield: Yield: 4 servings
2-1/2-pound boneless beef chuck roast
1/3 cup plus
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 bottle (12 oz.) brown or
1/4 cup Kikkoman Soy Sauce
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
3 large onions, cut into eighths
- Coat beef with 1/3 cup flour. Brown beef slowly on both sides in hot oil in Dutch oven or large saucepan.
- Combine ale, soy sauce and allspice; pour over beef. Bring to boil; cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Turn beef over and add onions; simmer, covered, 1 hour longer, or until beef is tender.
- Meanwhile, blend remaining 2 Tbsp. flour with 1/4 cup water.
- Remove beef and onions to serving platter; keep warm. Pour pan juices into large measuring cup; skim off excess fat. Return 2-1/2 cups juices to pan; bring to boil. Gradually stir in flour mixture, cooking until gravy boils and thickens.
- To serve, cut beef across grain into thin slices and serve with gravy.