(Yield: 4 to 6 servings)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
1 pound fresh mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon Kikkoman Soy Sauce, divided
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
1/3 cup pearl barley, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons chopped chives or green onions
Pepper to taste
- Heat oil in 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; cook and stir 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, over high heat 5 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup soy sauce, bay leaf, thyme and 5 cups water. Bring to boil; stir in barley. Cover and simmer about 50 minutes, or until barley is tender.
- Remove bay leaf. Stir in chives; simmer 5 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat; stir in remaining 1 Tbsp. soy sauce. Season with pepper, if desired.
If you like this, try...
on ONE (1) Kikkoman Panko Bread Crumbs
On any ONE (1) Kikkoman Soy Sauce.
On any one (1) Kikkoman product.