Home Cooks > Recipes > Mushroom Barley Soup
Yield: Yield: 4 to 6 servings 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
1 pound fresh mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon Kikkoman Soy Sauce, divided
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
1/3 cup pearl barley, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons chopped chives or green onions
Pepper to taste
- Heat oil in 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; cook and stir 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, over high heat 5 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup soy sauce, bay leaf, thyme and 5 cups water. Bring to boil; stir in barley. Cover and simmer about 50 minutes, or until barley is tender.
- Remove bay leaf. Stir in chives; simmer 5 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat; stir in remaining 1 Tbsp. soy sauce. Season with pepper, if desired.