Home Cooks > Recipes > Lite & Lively Split Pea Soup
(Yield: 4 servings)
1 cup dried split peas
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 bay leaf
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1/2 cup diced carrots
2 teaspoons Kikkoman Rice Vinegar
4 slices low-fat cooked ham, diced
3 tablespoons Kikkoman Less Sodium Soy Sauce
Hot pepper sauce (optional)
- Soak peas overnight in enough water to cover; drain.
- Stir-fry onion and celery in hot oil in 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat 2 minutes.
- Add 3-1/2 cups water, peas and bay leaf. Cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in garlic, carrots and vinegar. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes longer, or until peas are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; stir in ham and less sodium soy sauce. Discard bay leaf and serve with pepper sauce to taste.